I’m terribly terribly excited about the following news bits:
It’s not because I’m that interested in reading the material they will churn out, but new genre prose publishers is a good thing especially for an unpromising writing talent like myself.
Thoughts of publication in an upstart company - no matter how realistic - will hopefully be enough to spur me on to finish this fourth edit of Quarter City, and have some decent semblance of a readable (perhaps even enjoyable) final product.
I made some headway last weekend in cottage country, although, having put away the book for 5 months I think I lost much focus on what this stage of editing was supposed to accomplish.
But if I do get my shit together, well, here’s what’s going to happen:
- The Quarter City website (www.quartercity.net … apparently quartercity.com is owned by some guy that paints pictures of dogs) will feature the full book in PDF format… and for free. Once I figure out the best means to provide books digitally.
- I’ll be doing a limited run (less than 100, perhaps as few as 50) of handbound hardback editions(by strange little girl, whether she knows it or not) … the first dozen or so will go to the people that helped me the most on this insanely long project, as my gift for their support.
Two of these handbound will go to the National Library for archival purposes, necessary to obtain an isbn number.
Another dozen will be used as publisher samples, sent to various parties who may in fact be interested in releasing it to a broader market.
The remainder will be on-line limited edition sales (probably via paypal).
- If this all goes well, perhaps there may be a limited softcover, self published release later on. And perhaps even some support, such as a mini-tour or some sort of multimedia promotional stunt.
- Perhaps, if I feel the interest might be there, I’ll do a few conventions for promotion.
- Along the way, if I get my shit together I’ll manage to join a useful writers circle or find some sort of message board or listserv that will be professional and helpful.
- And maybe, just maybe, I’ll break even on the whole thing.
My timeline on this is negative 767 days and counting.
What’s that mean?
It means I was supposed to have this done years and years ago.
Anyone want to be my official asskicker on this (and perhaps a promotion to official asskisser when I glean my millions?)